Established in 1986 by Professor Charles P Skene CBE on Royal Deeside, near Banchory in Aberdeenshire, Inchmarlo Retirement Village introduced a new way of living in Scotland. It was also the first continuing care retirement community in Scotland and the first to be opened in the United Kingdom in 100 years.
At the heart of the estate is Inchmarlo House, a magnificent listed Georgian mansion dating back to around 1750, which sits on an elevated south facing position with superb views over the River Dee. Inchmarlo House was transformed into a care home in 1987 and is regularly rated as one of the best homes in the UK by the Care Inspectorate.
The underlying principle of Inchmarlo’s continuing care is to enable people to live in their own homes as long as they wish, with the support of optional care services, thereby providing significant financial savings compared to the cost of a care home. However, our homeowners receive priority admission into Inchmarlo House Care Home if required.
Inchmarlo Retirement Village is part of the family-owned Skene Group, which also comprises Skene House and Skene Business Centres.